Biotechnology Regulatory Services (BRS) announces the opening of two Biological Scientists (Tree and Ecology specialties), GS-0401-11 in USAJobs. These permanent positions are within the Biotechnology Risk Analysis Programs, Plants Branch and Plant Evaluation Branch. The vacancy announcement closes on August 26, 2022.
The vacancy is advertised as Direct Hire (open to the public and current federal employees) under Announcement # DH-11605446-22-BR and can be viewed at: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/671686400
The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Reviews applications for environmental release, interstate movement, and importation of certain organisms developed using genetic engineering (modified organisms).
- Conducts regulatory status review of modified plants, responds to requests for confirmation of regulatory exemption for modified plants, and communicates regulatory status to stakeholders.
- Prepares plant pest risk assessments and responds to public comments regarding these risk assessments.
- Primary contact regarding the evaluation of compliance incidents to provide scientific expertise and recommendations on mitigation.
- Represents BRS at professional society conferences, committees, and meetings at the national and international levels.
- Provide scientific support in the development or revision of BRS policy, guidelines, standards, information requirements, and strategic goals.
- Prepares a variety of authorization documents, reports, and technical analyses on different aspects of biotechnology of tree species or plant health.
Biotechnology Regulatory Services (BRS) is responsible for the coordination and regulatory oversight of genetically engineered plants and plant pests and acts as a biotechnology liaison between agencies within USDA and between USDA and governmental and private organizations.
Please feel free to distribute this announcement to people you feel would be excellent candidates for the position, and as always, should you feel that you can meet this challenge, BRS would welcome your interest.